Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Oh hot dam

IT WAS SO STINKIN HOT TODAY! I don't know why they call this the rainforest... it has hardly rained since we have been here at all. Before we came, we were told that it would rain for a few hours every single day. We have barely gotten a few TOTAL hours of rain with all of hte days added up! The rain usually cools it down and helps to get rid of some of the humidity, but since it hasnt rained it has just been miserable without air conditioning. Today we actually had a few hours of free time after lunch so that we could nap/relax, but there was no way that I could sleep because of how much I was sweating.

This morning though, we went to a hydroelectric dam that is pretty close to the Soltis Center. We got to put on some hard hats and wear ear plugs and walk through the control center which contained all of the turbines and generators that controlled the dam. The tour was pretty cool since we got to see all of the inside things that controlled the whole dam. Then we took our bus and actually went to the dam which was really cool! We got to stand on a little platform that overlooked the entire river. Apparently the dam provides electricity to 15,000 homes in the area... and it is only running 8 hours a day for 15 days out of the month. All of the other times it is closed for maintenance or to conserve even more energy.

Ever since I've been here (minus day 1... I think) I have taken a picture of the meal that I have eaten that day. Mainly to prove to people that we literally eat rice and beans with almost every single meal, but also just to remember all the crazy things that we eat. Like for dinner tonight, our main course was some mixture of eggs with green beans. I have no clue how they made it, but it looked like they somehow implanted the green beans into a huge circle of egg. I don't know where they get the creativity for some of our dishes. Hopefully at the end of the trip I can make a slideshow of every meal that I've eaten here! Being abroad has also made me wish that I kept up with learning Spanish. It would be so cool to be able to speak the language and understand everyone because only 1 of the kids with me knows Spanish, so everyone turns to him to ask him how to say things.

Even with all the hot, humid weather we've been having and all of the crazy long assignments we've had to do, I wouldn't trade this experience for anything! It hasn't even been a full week yet and I'm already having the time of my life :)

No comments:

Post a Comment