Thursday, June 9, 2011

Today we presented our proposals that we worked on all day yesterday... and I totally bombed my presentation. My excuse is that because I stayed up so late last night writing my actual proposal, I didn't get a chance to practice what I was going to say. But I was also tired of doing all of this work, so I generally didn't care too much because I didn't want my proposal to get picked anyways. Thankfully it didn't. The project that I will be researching/working on for the last week here is testing to see how fast the river (Rio Chachagua) flows and how much sedimentation is moving in the stream. I'm working with my roommate Trey and another girl Shelly which will be fun. I'm excited to actually do a project where we will be going out and collecting our own data, rather than relying on just journals and other research methods. And apparently, nobody has ever done this type of research at the Soltis Center before, so we will be the first people EVER to do a study like this here! Cool!

I'm so glad that we have no more assignments to do. We basically get to make our own schedule from now on, so the whole class basically decided to take tonight off! And even better... I'm skipping breakfast tomorrow and sleeping in because we don't have class! And even better than that... WE GET TO GO ZIP-LINING TOMORROW AFTERNOON!!!!! I have been waiting to do this ever since I first saw the flyer to study abroad in Costa Rica. Tomorrow is going to be an awesome day for sure.

Oddly enough, I am sick and tired of being on my computer. I thought that when I came to Costa Rica, I would hardly use any technology and would be out of touch with "the world". But everything that we have done the last few days has required us to be on our computers all day long. That reason, along with the fact that today was a chill day with not much happening, is why this post is going to be really short. Everyone is starting to get a little restless here since we have pretty much been in the same location for a week now with no way to get out. It's not like we can just walk down the street to go to a restaurant or something... we're in the middle of a rainforest.

Assuming I don't hit a tree or something like that while zip-lining tomorrow, expect some cool pictures from tomorrow's adventures!
This is the waterfall that I wrote about a few days ago... Looking at this pic, the rock that we sat on is literally right on the other side of the falls. B-E-A-UTIFUL

No comments:

Post a Comment